Weakened Soudelor Leaves 14 Dead in China, Taiwan
Rescue workers walk on a flooded street at a town hit by Typhoon Soudelor in Ningde, Fujian province, China, Aug. 9, 2015.
VOA News,August 10, 2015
Heavy rain continued Sunday in southeastern China where the remnants of Typhoon Soudelor moved further inland leaving flooding and at least 14 people dead.
The system, which was downgraded to a tropical storm, hit China's Fujian and Zhejiang provinces the hardest, killing eight people there while triggering mudslides.
It knocked out power to more than a million people, and authorities said 250,000 were evacuated from their homes.
On Saturday, the storm swept across Taiwan with winds of up to 160 kilometers per hour, leaving 3 million households without power and littering roads with uprooted trees. Some were still waiting for power to return Sunday.
An 8-year-old girl, her mother and twin sister were among the dead or missing after being swept out to sea along the country's east coast.
Soldiers and rescue crews with search dogs worked through mud and debris Sunday to begin recovery efforts following the storm.
Though the typhoon weakened before reaching land, forecasters said it was at one point the strongest typhoon so far this year.