Online Image Purports to Show Croat Killed by IS

伊斯兰国网上宣称斩首克罗地亚人质
This image made from a militant video posted on a social media website Aug. 5, 2015, purports to show a militant standing next to another man who identifies himself as 30-year-old Tomislav Salopek.

VOA News,August 13, 2015

The Islamic State's Egyptian affiliate claimed Wednesday it has beheaded a Croatian it abducted last month, showing a purported photo of his body in an online message.

Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic said authorities in Croatia could not "100 percent confirm" the death of Tomislav Salopek, a married, 30-year-old father of two who was working in Egypt. But Milanovic said "what we see looks horrific."

If confirmed, Salopek's beheading would be the first of a Western hostage held by the Sinai Province, an Egyptian group that has pledged its allegiance to the Islamic State.

Since last year, the Islamic State has beheaded or executed more than 3,000 people, many of them civilians in Iraq and Syria, along with journalists from throughout the world, a tourist and humanitarian workers employed in the region.

The purported Salopek photo, posted on an Islamic State-affiliated Twitter account, shows a man's severed head lying on his body with a knife driven into sand next to it and the black Islamic State flag in the background.

It carried a caption saying that the beheading was carried out "due to his country's participation in the war against Islamic State, after the deadline expired," a reference to the insurgents' demand when it took Salopek hostage that Cairo release Muslim women from its jails.

Next to the picture were screenshots of Arabic language news articles with headlines saying: "Croatia confirms its support for Egypt in efforts to fight terrorism and extremism" and "Croatia affirms its continued support for the Kurdistan region."

When he was first kidnapped, Salopek, kneeling next to a masked militant holding a knife, was forced to read a statement saying he would be executed within 48 hours if Egypt did not release the female prisoners, which the Islamic State has been demanding for the past two years.

The Sinai Province is leading the Islamist insurgency in Egypt against the government of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the one-time Egyptian military chief who helped overthrow the elected Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in 2013. The militant group has killed hundreds of soldiers and police.

伊斯兰国网上宣称斩首克罗地亚人质

美国之音,2015年8月13日

伊斯兰国组织在埃及的分支星期三在网上发布信息声称将上个月绑架的克罗地亚人萨洛佩克斩首,并展示了被斩首人质的照片。

克罗地亚总理米拉诺维奇说,当局无法“百分之百确认” 萨洛佩克之死,但是“看上去十分可怕”。现年30岁的萨洛佩克已婚,有两个孩子,曾在埃及工作。

如果消息属实,萨洛佩克将是宣誓效忠伊斯兰国组织的埃及西奈省组织斩首的第一名西方国家人质。

去年以来,伊斯兰国一共斩首或处死了3000多人,其中很多是伊拉克和叙利亚的平民,另外还有世界各地的记者、一名游客和在当地的人道工作者。

据称是萨洛佩克的照片是通过推特网站的一个伊斯兰国组织所属帐号发布的。照片显示一名男子的头颅和尸体,旁边沙土上插着一把刀,后面是一面伊斯兰国组织的黑色旗帜。照片文字说,这名男子被斩首“是因为他的国家在最后期限之后继续参加打击伊斯兰国的战争。”这指的是激进分子在将萨洛佩克押为人质时提出要埃及48小时内释放监狱中的穆斯林妇女的要求。

西奈省组织是在埃及反对总统塞西领导的政府的伊斯兰反叛活动的主使。塞西曾任埃及军方首领,在2013年帮助推翻了当选总统、支持伊斯兰主义的穆尔西。西奈省组织已经杀害了数百名士兵和警察。