that the construction How often? is more versatile and is
used more frequently than How many times?
When you use this construction, you are asking about how frequently
something happens. Unlike How many times? which usually
refers to past occasions, How often? is used to refer to
past, present and future situations. Take a look at the following
- 'How often do you plan to play tennis this summer?' 'As
often as possible. Every day, if I can.'
- 'How often will you visit your mother in hospital?'
'I shall try to visit at least once a week.'
- 'How often did you go to the cinema when you were young?'
'Every weekend, without fail. There was no television then.'
- 'How often do you go to the big supermarket to do your
shopping?' 'Not very often. Perhaps once a month.'
- 'When you lived in London, how often did you go to the
theatre?' 'We used to go three or four times a year ?something